Sunday, November 14, 2010

Breastfeeding support group

Until last Friday I was going every week to a breastfeeding support group. It is actually really good. I came by it because the lactation consultant I hired manages this group. But it turns out that the support is really more for me. It is a time where I can be with other women with a common objective: nursing their babies. Nursing in US is also a shame. The push for the use of formulas and the lack of support women get for nursing is appalling. Just as information, only 32% of babies are exclusively breastfed at 3 months and only 12% at 6 months. The goal is 50 % at 6 months. Ha! Until things change in this country so that it is more family friendly, this is not going to happen.
I am a pumper. And I say this with regret. I have no problems with nipple pain or discomfort. My baby latches perfectly. I have a decent amount of milk, specially considering I only have one functional breast. But my baby will not nurse. Actually she does for a few minutes and than she screams for the bottle. Sometimes she nurses all the way. Even if the milk is flowing easily, after the initial nursing minutes, she screams for the bottle. It is frustrating at the least. The worst is that she has GERD and breastfeeding makes it better. Last week was particularly difficult, with me crying on one side and she refusing to eat on the other. After a week of stress and not much weight gain, I gave up and will do whatever she wants. At least she is having mostly breastmilk.
Tomorrow I will go back to work. I am dreading it. I am furious I am not allowed to work at home. I am sad beyond tears. And I will be pumping milk for about 2 hours of my 8 hour job. At home it would be maybe 30 min for the whole 8 hours. Go figure...

No comments:

Post a Comment